“Power Up Your Summer!” with Healthy Eating and Active Play
Take charge of your health and the health of your family, and be a Champion for Change! Join the Network for a Healthy California—Children’s Power Play! Campaign (Power Play!) and your local community youth organizations for the “Power Up Your Summer!” Challenge. The Challenge empowers kids to add more active play and eat more fruits and vegetables this summer in an effort to combat the “summer slump” in physical activity and healthy eating.
To kick off the “Power Up Your Summer!” Challenge, Power Play! and community youth organizations across California will celebrate “PLAY! Week” June 21 – 25.
Help your kids participate in the “Power Up Your Summer!” Challenge by:
- Identifying safe outdoor places for kids to play, such as parks, recreation centers and pools. [Insert information about your Physical Activity Resource Guide, if desired.]
- If kids can’t get outside, encouraging active indoor play. Even simple things like turning on their favorite music and dancing, cheerleading, skipping or playing freeze dance, limbo or hide-and-seek can get them moving and avoiding the “summer slump.”
- Incorporating physical activity into your family’s routine such as a daily walk or bike ride together.
- Adding delicious summer fruits and vegetables to every meal.
- Limiting screen time to less than two hours per day. Time spent watching television, playing video games or surfing the Internet is time away from active play.