Food Stamps Can Help
Food Stamps Can Help
- Do you need help buying food?
- Do you need help getting healthy food?
- Do you know what food stamps are?
- Do you want to know if you qualify for food stamps?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then you should know that food stamps can help. Here are some common questions and answers about food stamps.
What are food stamps?
- The Food Stamp Program provides benefits to those who need it most – even those who work full time, own their home, and own cars.
- Food stamps can help you buy the food you need for good health. If you have difficulty paying all the bills and buying food, food stamps can really help.
- Food stamps are provided on an electronic card (called an EBT card) that can be used like a debit card to buy food.
- Food stamps can be used at supermarkets, grocery stores, farmers' markets, and flea markets where EBT cards are accepted.
Why is it important to eat healthy foods?
- The food you eat each day affects your health for a lifetime. It helps you determine how you feel today, tomorrow, and in the future.
- Eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains every day can help lower your risk of serious health problems like obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and certain types of cancer.
I need help buying food. Where can I get help?
How do I know if I am eligible to receive food stamps?
- Find out if you may be eligible to receive food stamps by visiting www.myfoodstamps.org/eligible.html.
- This free site has a few short questions to help you figure out if you might qualify for food stamps. It can also help you learn how to apply for food stamps in your county.
- Or, call toll-free 1-877-847-3663.
Where can I find a food stamp office in my area?
- Call toll-free 1-877-847-3663.
- Find an office in your county by visiting the California Department of Social Services' Food Stamp Program Web site. Find your county on the list and call the local number.
- Or, visit your county's Web site.
- Or, Social Services Agencies websites
Where can I get information about other nutrition assistance programs, like free or reduced-price school meals?
- Call toll-free 1-888-328-3483.
- Visit the USDA Food Assistance Programs Web site for many programs that can help your kids eat nutritious meals at school.
- Visit your Regional Network's Web site. They may offer helpful workshops and events in your area – like free health clinics, health fairs, and farmers' markets. Using the California map, click on your region to find the Web address.
The Network has over 150 agencies serving California in 11 different regions. Mouse over your region on the California map to find an agency near you.
Counties: Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz
Monterey County Dept. of Health Community Health Division
632 E. Alisal Street
Salinas, CA 93905
Contact: Christine Moss
Counties: Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Nevada, Plumas, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Tehama, Trinity
California Health Collaborative
25 Jan Court, Suite 130
Chico, CA 95928
(530) 345-2483 ext. 215
Contact: Patricia Mannel
Counties: Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Mono, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Solano, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tuolumne, Yolo, and Yuba
Health Education Council
3950 Industrial Blvd., Ste. 600
West Sacramento, CA 95691
Contact: Ramona Mosley