- Do you want good health for you and your family?
- Do you want more energy to get you through the day?
- Do you want your child to learn and focus better in school?
- Do you want to lower your risk of serious problems like obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and certain types of cancer?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, there are two easy things you can do every day:
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Get at least 30 minutes of physical activity.
Why is it good to eat fruits and vegetables?
As part of a healthy diet, fruits and vegetables may help you and your family:
- Boost energy levels.
- Control weight.
- Lower your risk of heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure.
- Reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Lower the risk of certain types of cancer.
- Look and feel great.
Fruits and vegetables may also help your child:
- Concentrate and do better in school.
- Grow and develop a strong body.
- Feel good about themselves.
- Lower their future risk of chronic diseases.
Fruits and vegetables:
- Are some of the healthiest and best tasting foods.
- Are low in sodium and calories, and most are fat free.
- Help your body get the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other substances it needs to stay healthy.
How many fruits and vegetables?
Adults need to eat 3½ to 6½ cups of colorful fruits and vegetables every day. Choose all forms of fruits and vegetables like fresh, frozen, canned, dried, and 100 percent juice — they all count toward your recommended amount.
The number of cups of fruits and vegetables that is right for each person depends on gender, age, and physical activity level. To find out how many cups each person in your family needs for good health, visit www.mypyramid.gov and click the MyPyramid Plan for information.
How to eat more fruits and vegetables every day?
Fruits and vegetables are easy to prepare and great on the go. Check out these recipes to learn how to include them into everyday meals and snacks.
Also, get a helping hand with some 'mom-tested' tips on how to get your family to eat more fruits and vegetables.